Taking the Exam
What to Expect on Exam Day?
Candidates are eligible to take the BCAT exam after their application has been approved by BICC.
To provide a fair and consistent environment for all candidates, the exams are delivered using standardized procedures that follow strict security protocols. Candidates are required to follow all exam site rules at all times. Failure to follow these rules may result in termination of a candidate’s testing session, invalidation of the candidate’s exam score, and/or disciplinary action.
During any portion of the exam, candidates may make note of any exam items they feel may be unclear. This feedback will be submitted to BICC and will be reviewed by BICC as part of the overall examination review and quality assurance process. Candidates will not receive direct feedback regarding specific item decisions.
Taking the Exam
Candidates are required to present a valid, government issued, photo identification to gain admission to the examination site. Acceptable identification is an unexpired government-issued photo ID with a signature (examples include driver’s license, passport, citizenship card, age of majority card, and military ID card). The name on the ID must match the applicant name on the exam application and the photo on the ID must validate the applicant’s identity.
Rescheduling and Cancellations
Candidates may cancel or reschedule an examination appointment up to 24 hours prior to the scheduled exam appointment to receive a partial refund less an administrative fee of $50. Examination fees cannot be refunded for cancellations received less than 24 hours in advance of the examination appointment. No refunds of exam fees are available once a candidate has taken the exam.
Exam Site Rules
- You must arrive at least 15 minutes prior to the scheduled start of the exam. Late arrivals may not be accommodated. Fees are not refunded for missed exam appointments.
- You must present acceptable identification. The name on your exam application and the name on your ID must match. Please see the “Identification” section above.
- No study materials, documents, or notes of any sort are to be taken into the examination area. No materials may be removed from the examination area.
- You may not bring any electronic devices, notes, or reading material into the examination area. Cell phones, backpacks, purses, and other personal items are not permitted. You are encouraged to leave these items at home when possible. Items brought to the test center will be placed in a secure area that is not accessible to you during the examination session.
- You will be observed at all times during testing and should be aware that security procedures are in place and will be enforced.
- No questions concerning the content of the examination may be asked in the examination area before, during, or after the exam. Proctors are not qualified nor are they permitted to answer any questions about the content of the examination. Proctors may answer questions about processes (e.g., time limit) but cannot interpret or explain any information on the exam.
- You are expected to answer the exam questions independently. There is to be no sharing of information, teamwork, or any other collaborative relationship with another candidate during the exam. Any violation of this policy is considered to be cheating. Any candidate engaged in this behavior may be subject to score cancellation and may not be allowed to sit for future administrations of the exam. See the disciplinary policy for additional information.
- No exam questions are to be discussed during or after the exam administration. Any infraction of these terms is considered to be a violation of your ethical responsibilities and subject to the disciplinary policy. It is also a violation of copyright law and exam security requirements
- You should dress comfortably. While all test sites strive to ensure the exam is given in a room that is neither too hot nor too cold, you should be prepared with appropriate layered attire.
- No food or beverage is permitted in the examination area.
- You may not communicate with anyone except the proctor during the exam.
- You are not permitted to bring guests, including children, to the testing center.
- You should complete your exam quietly, without disturbing others.